Friday 31 December 2010

Review for Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

" “I’ve left some clues for you. If you want them... turn the page. If you don’t, put the book back on the shelf, please. ” Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a shelf in her favourite bookshop, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept them. But is Dash that right guy? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions?" Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares is my first book by co-authors Rachel Cohn and David Levithan and I have to admit I was a little bit reluctant about picking up one of their books despite hearing good things about them. I read Rachel Cohn’s You Know Where to Find Me last year and absolutely hated it so I was in no hurry to pick up another of her books not even a co-authored one. However when I heard the wonderfully bookish, Christmassy sounding synopsis for this book I decided to put it on my wish list and to my delight my brother got it me for Christmas. I read this over the holidays and actually rather enjoyed it! Cohn and Levithan are two writers who really bring out the best in each other. I’m not sure if I’d enjoy their work separately- as was the case with the Cohn book- but I really enjoyed their writing together, both providing brilliant chapters. Each chapter is told alternately through Dash and Lily’s point of view. Levithan writing Dash’s chapters and Cohn Lily’s. Both authors voices were distinctive whilst also fitting nicely together, making the story entertaining and hugely readable. I really loved both Dash and Lily and found they really balanced each other out with Dash being a brooding, bookish loner and Lily a chipper, fun loving kind of girl. I thought that they made a very sweet couple to read about and I also had a soft spot for Dash’s best friend Boomer whom I personally think should have a book of his own! The characters were great and I really enjoyed my time with them. What I loved most about this book though was the plot. Book nerds everywhere will appreciate Dash and Lily’s bookish romantic adventure and with it being set at Christmas time it made for a heart-warming holiday read. The only thing that let this book down for me was the ending. I found it to be very anti climactic and turned the last page expecting more. It was a little hurried for my liking and I’d maybe of liked more of a romantic finish. I can’t quiet put my finger on what I didn’t like about it other than I was a little disappointed and found that it was lacking the big grand finale that I was expecting. After reading Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares I’m definitely going to be checking out more books by this author duo because if Dash and Lily is anything to go by they make an excellent writing team and can produce one hell of a book! Still not sure if I’ll be checking them out separately though but you can bet that I- like so many bookish people who have read this book- will be searching my local bookshops looking for my own red notebook romance! Recommended to anybody looking for an original, fun, bookish adventure. My Rating 4/5 stars **** Synopsis taken from goodreads

4 comments :

  1. Wonderful review! I loved how bookish this book was too (!)
    I can highly recommend Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan, by the way. I adored it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, really good to read another great review of this one as I'm looking forward to it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the Rachel Cohn book that you mentioned, but I've read Gingerbread of hers and absolutely ADORED it. I say definitely read David Levithan (go for Boy Meets Boy, it's so sweet and charming!) but don't give up on Rachel Cohn either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just discovered and followed your blog :) I really liked this book, I thought the idea was really different! I've just started a book reviewing blog myself, yours is inspiring!

    www.booksaccordingtoemma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts, opinions, and input make my day and help make this blog a better place, I reply to all comments so don't be a stranger!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using images from the Valentine Owls and Valentine's Day clip art kits by Pink Pueblo