Thursday 24 November 2011

Review for Crossed by Ally Condie

Crossed by Ally Condie
Publisher: Puffin
Release Date: 24th November 2011
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian
Rating: 2.5/5 stars
Source: Received from the publisher for review

Amazon Summary:
"Rules are different outside the Society.

Chasing down an uncertain future, Cassia makes her way to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky-taken by the Society to his certain death-only to find that he has escaped into the majestic, but treacherous, canyons. On this wild frontier are glimmers of a different life and the enthralling promise of rebellion. But even as Cassia sacrifices everything to reunite with Ky, ingenious surprises from Xander may change the game once again.

Narrated from both Cassia's and Ky's points of view, this hotly anticipated sequel to Matched will take them both to the edge of Society, where nothing is as expected and crosses and double crosses make their path more twisted than ever..."

Review
I was a huge fan of Matched when it came out last year and have been pining for Crossed ever since. I went into this book with high expectations, the back of the book talks about a rebellion rising and the picture of Cassia breaking out of the bubble made me think things were going to EXPLODE in this sequel but sadly I was left disappointed.

I started this book really confused. It’s been a long time since I read Matched, as I’m sure it has been for a lot of people, and I couldn’t really remember the ending. With a lot of books this isn’t really an issue as authors are usually pretty good at re-capping past events. Yeah that didn’t happen with this one, and so I spent the first hundred pages kind of confused. Luckily as I read on I managed to figure stuff out on my own and snippets came back to me but if your memory of Matched is a bit fuzzy like mine was I would really recommend re-reading Matched before starting Crossed.

Crossed is told from both Cassia and Ky’s perspective which I think had both its pro’s and con’s. In Matched I really liked both Ky and Xander but if I had to pick one I’d probably of gone with Xander. This book really gives us a chance to get to know Ky better and I was really touched by the parts where we see Cassia through his eyes. However I didn’t think that Ally Condie did a good job at making Cassia and Ky’s voices distinctive from one another. Despite stating their names at the beginning of each chapter their voices were so similar that I had to constantly flick back to see whose perspective I was supposed to be reading from because there was no distinction between them other than a name stated at the beginning of each chapter.

There were some things I did like about this book. I really liked the introduction of some new and interesting characters particularly Eli and Indie. I also liked getting to know Ky better and watching Cassia develop from Society Cassia in to Rebel Cassia. I can’t take away from the fact that Ally Condie is an extremely talented writer who writes some incredibly moving and beautiful scenes but unfortunately a dual narrative clearly isn’t her strong point and I really hope she tells the last book from just Cassia’s perspective.

When I got to the end of the book the first thing that came to mind was- is that it? This whole book is basically Cassia wondering around some canyons. There’s no answers, no action and the book ends right where Matched left off and leaves us none the wiser regarding anything really.

Crossed for me was a really pointless book. Absolutely nothing happened plot wise. This is a book entirely based on character development. I hate to say this but I was bored and when I finished reading I felt like this book was a huge waste of my time mostly because I didn’t learn anything different that I didn’t already know from having read Matched. This is a bit of a circle book where the author takes us on this great long journey just to end up back where we started. I was disappointed with this one but as there’s only one book left in the series I will still be checking it out and hope that Ally Condie will finally give us some answers.

4 comments :

  1. Oooh this is too bad... I am really looking forward to reading this, but if nothing will happen plot wise I am not sure if I will enjoy it much. But I will see, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was quite disappointed and I know a lot of people feel the same. However I DO know some people who have enjoyed it so fingers crossed you'll be one of them :-) Sadly it just didn't work for me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally felt the same way as you on this one! Way too slow moving, couldn't tell the voices apart either! Just didn't work for me. :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. i actully really liked this book. At first the voices were kinda confusing but then i got it . i can't WAIT FOR THE 3RD BOOK I HATE WHEN AUTHOURS DO THIS TO READERS!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts, opinions, and input make my day and help make this blog a better place, I reply to all comments so don't be a stranger!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using images from the Valentine Owls and Valentine's Day clip art kits by Pink Pueblo