Friday 17 February 2012

Review for The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Release Date: September 27th 2011 (US edition) releasing in the UK on March 1st 2012
Genre: Young Adult, Thriller, Mystery, Romance
Rating: 4/5 stars
Source: Bought

Summary:
"Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong."

Review
I was so excited to read this book as I’m a huge fan of Young Adult thrillers and with THAT cover, THAT synopsis and the amount of praise from some of my favourite authors (Cassandra Clare and Veronica Roth to name a few!) I had really high expectations for this book.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer grips you straight away with a mysterious letter to the reader from Mara Dyer herself and a thrilling first chapter. During the beginning of this book I was completely swept away in the mystery surrounding who exactly Mara Dyer is and Michelle Hodkin’s beautiful atmospheric writing. However I felt that during the middle of this book the pacing really slowed down as the book started focusing more on the growing relationship between Mara and Noah. Don’t get me wrong I loved the romance to the story, fans of smart ass, dark and dangerous bad boys like me are going to fall hard for Noah Shaw. The best way I can describe Noah is he is what you would get if you mixed together Jace from The Mortal Instruments and St Clair from Anna and the French Kiss. I loved following his and Mara’s deliciously twisted romance but I couldn’t help but feel that the focus switched off the plot and on to them too often which really slowed down the pacing so the middle to me read more like a contemporary romance than a heart pounding thriller.

At the end the book took another U- turn and we were flung back into the darker more suspenseful side of this book which is the side I loved best. Some of the twists I guessed but others took me by surprise and then something HUGE was revealed right at the very end finishing the book on a gigantic cliff hanger that left me dying for the sequel. Seriously Michelle Hodkin I tip my hat to you as the new queen of cliff hangers!

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is a captivating and twisted love story that is in equal parts as disturbing and dark as it is beautiful and poetic. Whilst this isn’t the best young adult thriller out there I can’t deny that this book has something unique and exquisite to add to the genre and I’m looking forward to seeing what happens next.

12 comments :

  1. OOh fabulous. I do like the sound of this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very good, and it's got such a stunning cover!

      Delete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found the twists so surprising! And Noah? Goodness. He is one snarky/irresistable lead, haha. I also found Mara's voice uniquely funny. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noah is one of my new book boy crushes *swoon*

      Delete
  3. I must admit I am a bit afraid of reading it after all the fabulous reviews but it sounds like something I will really enjoy so I much read it soon! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know sometimes the hype can be scary because it really gets your expectations up! If you love YA thrillers though then you should enjoy this :)

      Delete
  4. Awesome review Jess! I can't wait for this one to be released over here. Having just finished AatFK I am LOVING the thought of a St.Clair-esque character!!

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't wait for it to be released over here I needed it in my life so had to ship over a US edition! Oh yes Noah has all the snark and sexiness of St. Clair your going to love him ;)

      Delete
  5. Well, that's another one for the old wishlist... I'm still trying to decide what to order with the BD voucher you very kindly sent my way - maybe I'll have to add this to the list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Glad your going to use the voucher! It is a good one :)

      Delete
  6. need a longer summary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I don't write the summary so...

      I personally think it's a good one anyhow short and intriguing, I hate when summary's give too much away.

      Delete

Your thoughts, opinions, and input make my day and help make this blog a better place, I reply to all comments so don't be a stranger!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using images from the Valentine Owls and Valentine's Day clip art kits by Pink Pueblo