Thursday 24 June 2010

Review for Sunshine by Robin McKinley

Sunshine (Rae) has spent her life trying to be normal - Well as normal as it can be in a world full of vampires, sorcerers, were’s and other creatures that go bump in the night. Despite coming from a strong powerful family of sorcerers Sunshine just wants a normal life baking cinnamon rolls in her family’s coffeehouse. Despite her attempts to live a normal life Sunshine is soon flung into the other world when she’s kidnapped by a gang of vampires and finds that she’s to be dinner for her fellow vampire prisoner Constantine. It soon becomes clear that if they both want to get out alive they’ll have to form an unlikely alliance to escape Constantine’s enemy Bo who keeps them imprisoned and Sunshine will have to use her supernatural sorcerer powers that she’s been trying to deny having all these years. The rest of the story follows Sunshine's development of her powers and her forbidden alliance with Con to defeat the master vampire Bo. First things first I’d like to say that I love a good vampire novel. Was this a vampire novel? Me thinks not. The vampires in question hardly feature, and when they do there is little action. I really enjoyed the start of this novel but the rest of the book I found really quiet boring which is probably the worst thing a book can be. There was little action and the middle of the book was filled up with Rae's constant unnecessary babbling. The ending was left really unfinished with a lot of questions still unanswered which would leave a great opening for a sequel but after looking on Robins website it says she has no plans and doesn’t intend to write a sequel which is really quiet bazaar with the way the books set up. However there were parts of the novel I enjoyed very much. I liked the idea of the voodoo wars and I enjoyed learning about Rae’s power. I really had high hopes for this novel as I’ve heard a lot of good things about Robin McKinley. I’ll probably try something else by her in the future but I definitely won’t be re-reading this and I won’t be recommending it! My Rating 3/5 stars ***
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using images from the Valentine Owls and Valentine's Day clip art kits by Pink Pueblo