Monday 21 January 2013

Review for The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden by Jessica Sorensen

The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden by Jessica Sorensen 
Publisher: Self Published
Release: December 13th 2012
Genre: New Adult, Romance
Rating: 4.5/5 stars
Source: Bought



Goodreads Summary:
"There are those who don’t get luck handed to them on a shiny platter, who end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, who don’t get saved.

Luck was not on Callie’s side the day of her twelfth birthday when everything was stolen from her. After it’s all over, she locks up her feelings and vows never to tell anyone what happened. Six years later her painful past consumes her life and most days it’s a struggle just to breathe.

For as long as Kayden can remember, suffering in silence was the only way to survive life. As long as he did what he was told, everything was okay. One night, after making a terrible mistake, it seems like his life might be over. Luck was on his side, though, when Callie coincidentally is in the right place at the right time and saves him.

Now he can’t stop thinking about the girl he saw at school, but never really knew. When he ends up at the same college as Callie, he does everything he can to try to get to know her. But Callie is reserved and closed off. The more he tries to be part of her life, the more he realizes Callie might need to be saved."

Review
You guys! I fell hard for this book. I had “the feeling” about it so I bought it and read it straight away as soon as I stumbled across it on the Kindle store. This book totally lived up to my expectations and was by far the best 77p I have ever spent!

The book centres on Callie and Kayden and is told in their alternating view points throughout the novel. Callie was raped at a young age and Kayden has been abused by his dad since childhood. Both of them deal with their issues in a very different way Callie by making herself as unnoticeable as possible and Kayden by not caring about anything and covering it up with the cool popular guy façade. Both of them have suffered in silence until one night Callie accidently witnesses one of Kayden’s father’s beatings, steps in, and saves Kayden’s life. It’s from there that the story really takes off.

As well as Callie and Kayden there are also their best friends Seth and Luke who have also had their fair share of problems. All of the characters in this book are deeply damaged and didn’t have the best of lives back home so when they start college it’s a chance for them to craft a new life of their own and start over. So far this is probably sounding like a really depressing read but what I loved about it is how these damaged people come together and create a safe and happy place amongst them really solidifying their friendship. Each character wants to better their life and Callie and Seth even create a list of things they want to do but are afraid to and one thing must be crossed off every day. I loved the idea of this and thought it a brilliant way of facing your fears so much so that I’m planning on starting my own list!

The romance in this book was so incredibly beautiful. I loved watching not only Callie and Kayden’s love but their trust for one another grow throughout the book. They both bring out the best in each other and for the first time in their lives they each have something to live for. This was one of the most achingly romantic, not to mention steamy, books I’ve read in a long time and how gentle and patient Kayden was with Callie made him one of my new favourite book boys.

This book ends on a killer cliff-hanger and I am so happy the sequel is coming out in February because I have to know what happens next! The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden was the kind of book I thought about for days afterwards and raved about to anybody who’d listen. Fans of authors such as Simone Elkeles and Katie McGarry are sure to find a new favourite author in Jessica Sorensen.

14 comments :

  1. Liking the authors you compared it to. The cover is really gorgeous. Why is this a self-published book? If it was so good, I'm sure it could have been picked up by a publishing house! Oh well. Adding it to my TBR list. I'm looking for some New Adult- have yet to read any. What a great review. I hope you tweeted this at Jessica Sorensen:)
    -Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love the cover too! I think Jessica's books have been picked up in the UK by Sphere not sure about the US but it really deserves to get picked up soon! I'm fairly new to New Adult but this is my favourite so far so I hope you'll pick it up and enjoy it as much as I did :) I've just tweeted it to Jessica so hopefully she sees!

      Delete
  2. I was just going to say this books reminds me a bit of Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry, which I LOVED. This book sounds soso good!!! In fact, your review has inspired me buy it (77p well spent!) so thanks for sharing! :)))

    -Laura
    What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad you decided to buy it! Hope you love it as much as I did Laura :)

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure about this one, I felt like I'd "been there, read that" a bit when I read the synopsis, but everyone seems to really enjoy it so hmmmm. Might just be cause I'm on a bit of a fantasy kick right now. Thanks for the review :)

    Cait x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah there's nothing new really plot wise but this is very character driven they totally make the book!

      Delete
  4. I love the sound of this story, Jess! Everything about this until I came to the part of the cliffhanger! I'll wait until the 2nd books is out to pick this up since I'm really tired of cliffhangers. Wonderful review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you don't have long to wait! You'll definitely want to read them back to back :)

      Delete
  5. Same feeling as Cait when I read the synopsis of this one - a lot of these NA books seem to be following a similar route. Still, have seen a lot of great reviews for Sorensen's books so might have to check this out at some point! Great review, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they do, but I really loved the characters to this one so it really stood out to me! Sorensen's definitely an author to check out!

      Delete
  6. If you enjoyed this you MUST read Hopeless by Colleen Hoover. I personally found it much more romantic (it gave me shivers like Twilight did) and it actually made me cry as it was so beatuiful.
    The theme is similar to this though as it also deals with abuse and the main character Holder OMG I fell for him hard hehe. Try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard a lot of good things about Hopeless I have Slammed to read first so I'll be reading that before Hopeless but if I enjoy it I'll definitely be checking Hopeless out, it's on my wishlist! :)

      Delete
  7. Oh I've seen this book everywhere lately Jess, I was a little unsure about it, as it initially reminded me of McGarry's book which unfortunately I didn't enjoy, but I love your enthusiasm for this book, I may just have to give it a try after all! Wonderful review Jess! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For 77p you can't go wrong Jas! Although it has the same sort of plot the characters totally make this book what it is!

      Delete

Your thoughts, opinions, and input make my day and help make this blog a better place, I reply to all comments so don't be a stranger!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using images from the Valentine Owls and Valentine's Day clip art kits by Pink Pueblo