Friday 14 October 2016

Where to Start With Thrillers

As the days get shorter and the nights grow colder there's nothing that I love more than grabbing a blanket, making a hot drink and sitting down in front of the fire with a thriller. Over the last couple of years I have really gotten into this genre and now consider it to be one of my favourites and I know I'm not the only one! Thrillers are very popular at the moment and I am constantly asked by both my readers and loved ones where I would recommend starting with this genre. With Halloween approaching I thought that it was the perfect time to create my very own guide on where to start with thrillers for anyone looking for a dark and gritty read.

 The Bestsellers


Sometimes the best place to start is at the top and Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train are bestsellers for good reason, they really are some of the best in the thriller genre. Although different in plot they do have some similarities with their unlikable characters, gripping story line, shocking twists and a missing girl and in my opinion you can't go wrong with either one. Gone Girl was the first thriller that I read and is largely what got me hooked on this genre. Both books also have fantastic movie adaptations that I'd recommend watching after reading.

 The Big Twist

 

One of the things that I love about thrillers are the big twists that you never see coming. I read a lot from this genre and so have gotten to the point where I'm pretty good at guessing where a book is heading but two books that made me gasp out loud in shock were The Woman in Cabin 10 and The Kind Worth Killing. These two books genuinely kept me on my toes and I'd recommend them to anyone who loves books that take a turn for the unexpected.

The Best Villain

 

We all love a good villain and You and Behind Closed Doors offer up two of my favourites. You is actually told from the bad guy's point of view - don't get me wrong, he is a very bad man, but somehow you end up liking him anyway and Behind Closed Doors features a villain that I loathed with an almighty passion, he really is despicable and I physically wanted to punch my book at times because I despised him that much. If you love a good baddie then these two books are for you.

The Page Turner

 

For me, pacing is crucial when it comes to thrillers and two books that get it spot on are The Missing and Distress Signals. In both books the tension is so taut throughout that I physical could not put them down. The twists and turns are expertly placed and the plot revelations are so well timed. If you're looking for a book that will keep you up reading late into the night you can't go wrong with these two.

The Most Sinister

 

Now, if you have a strong stomach and your motto is that the more sick and twisted a story is the better then I would recommend that you check out How I Lost You and Pretty Girls. I'm definitely not someone who gets scared easily when it comes to fiction but both of these books were so dark and messed up that they played on my mind long after I turned the lights out ready to go to sleep. If you think that you can handle them, then I'd certainly recommend these two books for a creepy, sinister read.

 I hope that these recommendations help anyone looking for a good thriller and that they get you as obsessed with the genre as I am!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using images from the Valentine Owls and Valentine's Day clip art kits by Pink Pueblo