Friday 20 December 2013

My Most Anticipated Books of 2014 Part 3: UKYA

It's time for the third and final part of my Most Anticipated Books of 2014 series! So far I've discussed debuts, standalones and first books in a new series in Part One and sequels and series endings in Part Two. Today in this final instalment I'm going to be sharing with you the top ten UKYA 2014 releases that I'm the most looking forward to. Being a UK based book blogger I really like to support authors from the UK - we have some very talented writers over here! And these are just a handful of the gems that I'm looking forward to reading. In no particular order here are the books!

Half Bad by Sally Green 
Series: Book One in the Half Life Trilogy 
Coming: March 3rd 2014 
Add to Goodreads 
Synopsis: You can't read, can't write, but you heal fast, even for a witch. You get sick if you stay indoors after dark. You hate White Witches but love Annalise, who is one. You've been kept in a cage since you were fourteen. All you've got to do is escape and find Mercury, the Black Witch who eats boys. And do that before your seventeenth birthday.

In modern-day England, witches live alongside humans: White witches, who are good; Black witches, who are evil; and fifteen-year-old Nathan, who is both. Nathan’s father is the world’s most powerful and cruel Black witch, and his mother is dead. He is hunted from all sides. Trapped in a cage, beaten and handcuffed, Nathan must escape before his sixteenth birthday, at which point he will receive three gifts from his father and come into his own as a witch—or else he will die. But how can Nathan find his father when his every action is tracked, when there is no one safe to trust—not even family, not even the girl he loves?
Why I Want to Read it – Erm, have you read the synopsis? As well as it sounding freaking awesome the publishers are VERY excited about this one and there has been a lot of early buzz already. It sounds like Half Bad is going to be HUGE so you definitely want this one on your radar!

Say Her Name by James Dawson 
Series: None 
Coming: June 5th 2014 
Add to Goodreads 
Synopsis: Roberta 'Bobbie' Rowe is not the kind of person who believes in ghosts. A Halloween dare at her ridiculously spooky boarding school is no big deal, especially when her best friend Naya and cute local boy Caine agree to join in too. They are ordered to summon the legendary ghost of 'Bloody Mary': say her name five times in front of a candlelit mirror, and she shall appear... But, surprise surprise, nothing happens. Or does it? Next morning, Bobbie finds a message on her bathroom mirror... five days... but what does it mean? And who left it there? Things get increasingly weird and more terrifying for Bobbie and Naya, until it becomes all too clear that Bloody Mary was indeed called from the afterlife that night, and she is definitely not a friendly ghost. Bobbie, Naya and Caine are now in a race against time before their five days are up and Mary comes for them, as she has come for countless others before...
Why I Want to Read it – There is something about the Bloody Mary legend that makes me not ever want to try saying her name in front of a mirror - even as an adult! I read my first James Dawson book 'Cruel Summer' this year and absolutely loved it so I can't wait for more from him! Plus, the cover is awesome!

Shadowplay by Laura Lam 
Series: Book Two in the Micah Grey series 
Coming: 2nd January 2014 
Add to Goodreads 
Why I Want to Read it – I haven't shared the synopsis for this one as it's the sequel to Pantomime a book I read and loved earlier this year. This is a UKYA Fantasy series and it's so different to anything else that I've read before! If I had to describe it I'd say that it's like a YA version of The Night Circus but with more issues and themes. I have this one on my Kindle from Netgalley and I can't wait to see what happens to Micah next!

A Kiss in the Dark by Cat Clarke 
Series: None 
Coming: April 3rd 2014 
Add to Goodreads 
Synopsis: When Alex meets Kate the attraction is instant. Alex is funny, good-looking, and a little shy – everything that Kate wants in a boyfriend. Alex can’t help falling for Kate, who is pretty, charming and maybe just a little naive… But one of them is hiding a secret, and as their love blossoms, it threatens to ruin not just their relationship, but their lives.
Why I Want to Read it – The synopsis for this one is pretty brief but Cat Clarke is one of my favourite UKYA authors and I'd read anything she writes without question. If you haven't read one of her books yet I'd urge you to, especially 'Undone' which is my favourite of hers so far.

The Fearless by Emma Pass 
Series: None 
Coming: 24th April 2014 
Add to Goodreads 
Synopsis: The Fearless. An army, powered by an incredible new serum that makes each soldier stronger, sharper, faster than their enemies. Intended as a force for good, the serum has a terrible side-effect - anyone who takes it is stripped of all humanity, empathy, love. And as the Fearless sweep through the country, forcing the serum on anyone in their path, society becomes a living nightmare. Cass remembers the night they passed through her village. Her father was Altered. Her mother died soon after. All Cass has left is her little brother - and when Jori is snatched by the Fearless and taken to their hellish lair, Cass must risk everything to get him back.
Why I Want to Read it – I LOVE the sound of this one. I still have ACID to read from this author which I'll have to get around to. I'm in a bit of a dystopian slump at the moment and I'm starting to go off the genre a bit so hopefully this one will make me fall in love all over again!

Dark Days by Kate Ormand 
Series: None 
Coming: June 3rd 2014 
Add to Goodreads 
Synopsis: The future world has been divided into sectors-each the same as the other. Surrounded by thick steel fences, there is no way in and no way out. Yet a cyborg army penetrates each sector, picking off its citizens one by one, until no one is left. Behind the sectors' thick walls, the citizens wait to die. Few will be chosen to survive what's coming; the rest will be left behind to suffer. A new world has been created, and its rulers are incredibly selective on who will become a citizen. They want only those with important roles in society to help create a more perfect future. 

Sixteen-year-old Sia lives in one of the sectors as part of a family that is far too ordinary to be picked to live. According to the digital clock that towers high above her sector, she has only fifteen days to live. Sia has seen the reports and knows a horrific death is in store for her, but she is determined to make the most of her final days. Sia refuses to mourn her short life, instead promising herself that she'll stay strong, despite being suffocated by her depressed mother and her frightened best friend. Just when Sia feels more alone than ever, she meets Mace, a mysterious boy. There is something that draws Sia to him, despite his dangerousness, and together, they join a group of rebels and embark on an epic journey to destroy the new world and its machines, and to put an end to the slaughter of innocent people.
Why I Want to Read it – Yes, yes and yes. From the synopsis alone this one is ticking all of the right boxes for me. Give me cyborgs, corrupt rulers, immanent death and a strong heroine and you have got me intrigued! We're still waiting on a cover for this one but boy, am I excited!

Shattered by Teri Terry 
Series: Book Three in the Slated series 
Coming: March 6th 2014 
Add to Goodreads 
Why I Want to Read it - This is the last book in the Slated series which is why I haven't included a synopsis. I'm so excited to see how everything ends for Kyla and I'm so glad that I don't have that long left to wait! Also this is my favourite cover of the series yet! 




The Worst Girlfriend in the World by Sarra Manning 
Series: None 
Coming: 1st May 2014 
Add to Goodreads 
Synopsis: Alice Jenkins is the worst girlfriend in the world according to the many, many boys who've shimmied up lampposts and shoplifted from New Look to impress her, only to be dumped when she gets bored of them. Alice has a very low boredom threshold. But she never gets bored with Franny, her best friend since they met at nursery school. Friends are for ever. Ain't nothing going to come between them. Girls rule, boys drool is their motto.

Well, it's Alice's motto, Franny doesn't have much time for boys; they're all totes immature and only interested in one thing. But then there's Louis Allen, lead singer of Thee Desperadoes, the best band in Merrycliffe-on-sea (though that could be because they're the only band in Merrycliffe-on-sea). He's a tousle-haired, skinny-jeaned, sultry-eyed manchild, the closest thing that Franny's ever seen to the hipsters that she's read about on the internet and she's been crushing on him HARD for the last three years. She's never worked up the courage to actually speak to him but she's sure on some deeper level that goes beyond mere words, Louis absolutely knows that she's his soulmate. He just doesn't know that he knows it yet. It's why he cops off with so many other girls. So, when Alice, bored with callow youths, sets her sights on Louis it threatens to tear the girls' friendship apart, even though they're better than fighting over a boy. They strike a devil's deal - may the best girl win. Best friends become bitter rivals and everything comes to an explosive conclusion on their first trip to London. Can true friendship conquer all?
Why I Want to Read it - I love Sarra Manning and have been reading her books since I was a teenager so I'm really excited for this one! I'm really intrigued to see where Sarra takes this one with the best friends VS boy debacle.

Heart Break Girl by Malorie Blackman 
Series: Sequel to Boys Don't Cry 
Coming: March 6th 2014 
Add to Goodreads 
Why I Want to Read it - I absolutely loved Boys Don't Cry when it came out in 2010 and four years later we're getting a sequel! I can't wait to be back with these characters again although, from the synopsis, I'm worried this one might break my heart! I'm counting down the days!

Trouble by Non Pratt 
Series: None 
Coming: March 6th 2014 
Add to Goodreads 
Synopsis: A boy. A girl. A bump. Trouble. Hannah’s smart and funny ... she’s also fifteen and pregnant. Aaron is new at school and doesn’t want to attract attention. So why does he offer to be the pretend dad to Hannah’s unborn baby? Growing up can be trouble but that’s how you find out what really matters.
Why I Want to Read it - I've heard really good things about this one and am really excited to have a proof copy waiting to be read! I love my contemporaries and am looking forward to checking this one out! Also I salute the publishers for the cover choice!


So there you have it! I hope you guys have enjoyed this little mini series and that I've managed to add some books to your wishlist! Now all that's left to do is wait for 2014 to roll around so that we can finally get on to some of these brilliant sounding books! Which UKYA book are you most anticipating reading in 2014?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using images from the Valentine Owls and Valentine's Day clip art kits by Pink Pueblo